Tauwhare, a house of rest, is an apt name for the district, from both Maori and European viewpoints.
The district of Tauwhare used to begin about 10 kilometres east of the present day Hamilton City
boundary. In 1883 it was part of the Tauwhare sub-division of the Eureka Estate. A century ago it
was known as the Tauwhare flats.

The total area of the district is approximately 15,650 acres, of which about 6,800 acres lie
west of the confiscation line, and were thus confiscated by the Crown. The rest lies east of the
confiscation line and was bought from Maori owners.

Overlooking Tauwhare to the south-east is Pukemoremore hill. In 1879 a list of land was returned
to Ngatihaua, amounting to 2,984 acres. This was at the Tauwhare end, and would include the
Pukemoremore Block of 950 acres.

In May 1891, Tawhiao, the second Maori king, opened the Maori Parliament House at Te Miro in
the Maungakawa Range.

Maori travellers from Waahi, the principal Waikato Pa at Huntly, would rest at Tauwhare Marae on
their way to Waharoa or Peria near Matamata.

Tauwhare was also on the crossroads to Tainui Pa at Matangi, Maniapoto at Tamahere, and various
places on the banks of the Waikato River.

Europeans passing through from Hamilton, Cambridge or Morrinsville would have found a meal
and lodging at the Tauwhare Hotel, built by the Waikato Land Association in 1883. Drovers
moving stock along the same route would often use the Accommodation House for an overnight
stay, putting their charges in the paddocks at the rear.

As well as meals and beds for travellers a general store was run in conjunction with the hotel for
many years, and the storekeeper – innkeeper was often the postmaster as well.
In 1932 the top storey was removed and the accommodation house closed after serving the
travelling public for nearly 50 years. The ground floor dining room became part of the store.
The store continued in the old hotel until it was burned down in 1965.

Communication with the outside world was of vital importance to isolated settlers a century ago.
With the opening of the Post Office in Tauwhare on the 1st February 1884, the district was served
by the telegraph.
The telephone came to Tauwhare in 1907 after five and a half miles of poles and wires had been
erected from Eureka. In 1964 the automatic telephone system came, and the local TWE Exchange
was built.

Early memories of the Post Office as a small room attached to the accommodation house. In 1921
Mr Frank Windsor became Postmaster and he built a tiny room across the road near his Smithy
to accommodate the Post Office. When this became too small he built a small store/Post Office
on the corner, where it stayed until 1960. Then the Post Office moved back to its original site
until that Store closed in 1975. From 1975-81 the Post Office was at Tauwhare Motors. When the
garage closed in 1981 counter callers joined rural delivery services.

The first public hall in Tauwhare was the curing room of the cheese factory. When no longer
required by the factory it was dragged across the paddocks by horses and placed approximately
where the telephone exchange is now. Silent movies were shown in the hall and were very popular
with the residents. This hall was sold to the Methodist Church and with alterations it is still giving
service at their Epworth Camp, Horahora.

The new site for the hall is on the corner of the Old Factory Road and main Morrinsville Road. The
hall has been the centre for many social events, sporting groups and clubs. Some of the clubs
that were established included the Debating Society, Federated Farmers, Farm Labour Group,
Loyal Tauwhare Lodge, Country Women’s Institute and WOT (Women of Tauwhare).

Over the years locals participated in a variety of sports; including Athletics, Hunting, Rugby,
Wrestling, Cricket, Indoor Bowls, Harriers and Horse Racing.

Tauwhare School opened on the 3rd November 1884, with 29 pupils enrolled. As the years went
by improvements were made. A new building was constructed as student number increased. The
school is a four teacher school with the roll at 95. It enters
its second century with plenty of space and facilities.

Te Kura o Ngati Haua was founded in 1955 and is a full Primary School located on Pukemoremore Road at the base of Pukemoremore Maunga. Currently all classes are total immersion Maori, supported by Ngati Haua kawa (protocol).

Tauwhare is an attractive area with lush countryside and green rolling hills.

Thanks to George Dingle for his local knowledge

Compiled for the Community Plan 2007-2017 . https://wdcsitefinity.blob.core.windows.net/sitefinity-storage/docs/default-source/your-council/plans-policies-and-bylaws/plans/community-plans/tauwhare---community-plan.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Update 2012

This busy community has been sustained, and with new subdivisions of rural/residential properties being populated over the last decade Tauwhare has evolved to a community of those choosing to stop and develop their own homes here. There is still a rural basis to the greater community but with many new lifestyle residents the heart of Tauwhare is now designated a “village” with speed restrictions and footpaths. 
The school celebrated 125 years in 2009.
Tauwhare and Waimakarere Pa's have recently undertaken major upgrades of their Wharekai buildings and continue a tradition of hospitality to outside groups.
 The people of Tauwhare are of a varied demographic being on farms (dairy & dry stock), one of the two pa, or on rural/residential sections running their own businesses or travelling to neighbouring centres for work. 
The growth in the community has meant Tauwhare School has grown to a role of 170 with three new classrooms opened over the past five years. In 2012 the Ministry of Education imposed a school zone, covering the Tauwhare and Eureka districts, around Tauwhare Primary. A preschool, now Pukeko Preschool, was relocated from Eureka to Tauwhare School in 2003, and is now planning expansion with the recent purchase of independent land next to the school.
 The community also sustains a playgroup and on separate weekends a monthly church service and monthly 'kids for Christ' morning. 
The community hall is well used for regular groups and other events. 
Te Kura o Ngati Haua School continues its tradition of providing a total immersion Maaori schooling option to those within the area and draws pupils to Tauwhare from many neighbouring districts. Being in the middle of a triangle between Hamilton, Cambridge and Morrinsville the residents of Tauwhare continue to choose any of these three centres as their base for services and affiliations to outside groups. As the village area of Tauwhare continues to be 'filled in' with new housing, the community will continue to evolve to provide local support and facilities for the range of retired, self employed, professionals, families and individuals choosing to make Tauwhare their home/place.
Compiled for the Community Plan 2013 - 2023.

"He panehe toki, ka tu te tangitangi kai".
A little stone adze will fell large trees. Ultimately the cleared land will produce quantities of food.
(Reed's Maori Proverbs).
Scotsman's Valley was earlier known as Whyte's Valley after J. B. Whyte who bought 7163 acres for One pound per acre in October 1876.  This land was in Scotsman's Valley and the Tahuroa Road area, being part Tahuroa number one plus Tahuroa 3 and 4 blocks.

"He kai kei aku ringa".
There is abundance with my hands.
One can gain a living by means of hard work.
(Reed's Maori Proverbs).

Debating Society
In 1913, on the 5th May, a public meeting in the hall decided to form a Literary and Debating Society. The annual subscription was fixed at two shillings for gents, ladies free. Mr William Ferris was elected President, A. Tickelpenny, Secretary, and E. Tickelpenny, Treasurer.
The first debate was "Should bachelors be taxed?". The majority spoke in the negative.
After six meetings the Society was disbanded owing to lack of support.

Fernleigh Downs Homestead, built 1910
Fernleigh Downs Homestead, built 1910. E. P.