On the 28th November 1882 Messrs E. Mahoney and Son, Architects of Auckland, invited tenders for the erection of a two-storied hotel and other buildings at Tauwhare. This was a week before the Auction of town sections and farmlets.  The hotel was built by the Waikato Land Association. Because of its height and the absence of trees in the vicinity, it was visible for many miles, and was described as being "conveniently placed on the main coach road to Thames from Cambridge and Hamilton". It was opened in November 1883, with a licence to sell liquor, but it was not long before some residents began to object to having a licensed hotel in their midst. They had formed a branch of the Band of Hope, a temperance body, with Mr James Graham as President, Miss Walworth as Secretary, and a Committee of Messrs James Shaw, Thomas Shaw, Charles Shaw, James Innes, Sam Tickelpenny. After only two years the licence was allowed to lapse and for three months the hotel was without a tenant.
In January 1886 the Walworth family took over the hotel and renamed it the Tauwhare Temperance Hotel. As well as meals and beds for travellers a general store was run in conjunction with the hotel for many years, and the storekeeper - innkeeper was often the postmaster as well.
In 1932 when Mr Oscar Koed, a Dane, had the accommodation house, it was considered that the top storey made the building unstable and so it was removed. Possibly the Napier earthquake the year before raised doubts about the buildings stability. With the upper floor bedrooms gone, the accommodation house closed after serving the travelling public for nearly 50 years. The ground floor dining room became part of the store.

Tauwhare Centennial History 1884-1984