The Cambridge branch line from the Ruakura Junction was opened with much celebration on the 8th October 1884. The Engineer for the Tamahere Road Board, Mr H. Breakell had surveyed the line, and James Runciman of "Marshmeadows" Newstead was among those who gave land to have it put through.  An alternative route which had been considered was across the Waikato River at the Narrows to link up with the main trunk, but the backers of the Ruakura-Cambridge route convinced the Government that their route would open up some of the most productive land in the country.
The Cambridge branch line was one of the easiest jobs that railway engineers had encountered. The 18 kilometres were completed in less than a year, at a total cost of Seven thousand three hundred pounds. Gravel for ballast for the sleepers was taken from alongside the line, and only one bridge was needed - over the Mangaonua Stream near Newstead.
With the line to Morrinsville also being opened in 1884, Tauwhare district was very well served for passenger and goods traffic by the stations at Eureka and Tamahere (now Matangi).

Like the mail and telephone, electricity came to Tauwhare from Eureka. On the 22nd November 1921, The Central Waikato Electric Power Board livened transformer number 16, situated in the village, and gave supply to Mr F. R. Windsor. His daughter, Mrs Myrtle Fell, recalls the house being lit up that night with all lights on. Within a month the following people round the village were connected:  A. C. Massey (now Mickell's), D. Laird (now H. Fawcett's), W. E. Jones (now L. Main's); Mrs E. Grey of the Accommodation House, J. H. Cooper, Storekeeper.  The Church was connected on the 15th July 1922 and W. D. Hastie (now Tom Fleming's) on the 31st May 1923. Lights and small appliances came first, and it was some years before many people installed electric stoves and hot water cylinders.
The Thames Valley Electric Power Board supplied power to Tahuroa Road on the 1st May 1933 and to the upper Scotsman's Valley in 1936. The lower end had power in 1925 when the Central Board installed it as far as the top quarry to drive the crushers and elevators for the Tamahere Road Board.

Early bus services to Hamilton and Morrinsville were run by Edwards Motors, but when they began has not been discovered.
When petrol rationing began early in World War Two, a service which soon became popular was the shoppers' bus which passed through Tauwhare on route to Hamilton at about 10.00 a.m. returning to Tauwhare about 4.00 p.m.
In 1951 Buses Limited, ran three day time services. The workers' bus left Clarkin's Corner, Eureka at 7.20 a.m. and travelled via Tauwhare to Hamilton, leaving Garden Place for the evening return at 5.15 p.m. Buses also left Clarkin's Corner at 9.55 a.m. and 4.25 p.m. Evening services were run for Friday night shoppers and Saturday night picture theatre patrons. There were no Sunday buses.
By 1969 lack of patronage had reduced the service to the workers' bus. In 1973 the service was discontinued.

Tauwhare Centennial History 1884-1984