John Martyn Junior sold Pencarrow, August 1886, to Cornelius Day, who had farmed at Ramarama and Whatawhata after arriving from Kent, England, with his wife and family. The 1,000 acrea were sold at £8 per acre.
Mr Day developed a pure bred herd of Jerseys, which had outstanding success in the show ring. Jerseys were imported from 1900 onwards, from Jersey and Australia.
One bull "Charms Lord Tylish" turned out to be vicious, nearly killing the local veternary inspector, who went into his stall.
Butter and cheese making were some of the earlier occupations, including bacon curing.
Mr Day in 1895 started the first butter factory, on the main road, which after ...........................................
In 1894, from the Times, Mr C. Day invited friends to a house warming, following the erection of his new home at Pencarrow (Mr J.W. Wrigley was the architect).
Besides the milking, Mr Day cropped mangolds and swedes and some sixty acres of wheat a year, which gradually deplenished the fertility of the soil, as at that time manures were gradually being used. The imported bonedust from Calcutta, which contained the anthrax virus, was deadly to cattle and over the years there have been three outbreaks, and one young man Arthur Keyte nearly died through contracting the disease.
The virus remains indefinately in the soil and could appear on those fields, particularly if ploughed.
Mr Day imported from America in 1900's an older version of the modern silo, consisting of two 40 feet by 12 feet tongue and grooved wooden hooped versions, with a corrigated dome roof.
The maize grown for the purpose was chopped up and elevated by means of buckets on a belt, drivin by a traction engine, or a portable engine. The silo had a door at every six feet.
The silo served its purpose well, but collapsed through deterioration of timber, which was not treated to counter the acidity of the silage.
In 1914 the farm was subdivided and Mr Day built on a section on the main road, living there until he died in September 1921. The section was sold to Frank Veale of Cambridge, who farmed there until he retired to Hillcrest.
The homestead portion had been retained, and his son Frank who had been living on the Fairleighsection to the East, with his sisters returned and farmed there until he retired to Hillcrest, selling to C. Warren, J. Herbert and R. Woodcock.
Among those employed by Mr Day, was his younger son Frank and grandson, Harry Wallace, who was brought up on the farm and to a large extent was looked upon as a son.
Harry, when he married Blanche Hunt, daughter of Thomas Hunt of Rukuhia, farmed at Monvale, but when his grandfather subdivided Pencarrow, returned and bought the present section adjoining the homestead on the western side of Pencarrow Road. The farm, now sold, consisted of flat land, receeiing down in terraces to the river.
Harry Day managed the factory and ran a portion of the farm from the main road, bounded on the west to the Narrows bridge. He was a very agile man, having lost a leg, managed to cope with two undertakings with the help of a man.
The Narrows Golf Club is now on the river section of Mr Day's farm.
Another son, Albert, farmed on Woodcock . Road for some years, beyond Crawfords farm.
When the 1914 subdivision took place,.in 60 to 100 acres in area, with Pencarrow and Day Road being opened, sections were soon sold - H.C. Wallace, Charles Brett, Dave Ellison, Gordon, W. Johnson.
Fairleigh followed by Trist Sawle and Maxwell; E.C. Curtis at end of road, at the Southern end.
Had worked for Mr Day after leaving thmerchant navy, where he was an officer.
Had returned to New Zealand on last German ship to New Zealand pri.or to 1914 war.
An Irishman had come from Taranaki as had Johnson and his family.
Was from Opotiki.
Lived at Matangi.
Was from Taranaki, coming by way of boat from New Plymouth; after selling at Tamahere, settled Old Main Road, Otorohanga.
THE NARROWS, HUNT:
Across the Narrows Bridge on the Western side is the Narrows farm of some 600 acreas, which has always had affiliations with Tamahere.
The owner in the '80's was Mrs Deborah Hunt, with her son William as manager. The Hunts were originally from Kaitaia, their story is set out in the family history by Jack Burn-Murdoch, whose mother was a Hunt.
The farm was used for cropping (wheat and oats), breeding shorthorn cattle and Lincoln sheep, which was the predominant breed in the Waikato at the time.
The family consisted of Thomas, John, William, Nocholas, Mrs Watts, Mrs Puckey of Kiwitahi and Mrs Chepmell of Kiwitahi. Thomas and John worked as young men in North Auckland in the timber industry, pit sawing being one of their occupations.
Thomas came down to the Waikato where he married and for a number of years managed "Thorncombe", which is on the heights above Te Awamutu on the left of the Cambridge Road.
It was here his family were born.
Thomas later bought land at Rukuhia, adjacent to Raynes farm, ultimately retiring to a section on Te Rapa Straight - now covered by industry.
John farmed at "Eversley" Walton for some years, and then went farming in Southland, where he died.
One of his sons was Sir W.D. Hunt, became managing director of Wright Stephenson's and whose family are well known Hereford breeders at Wanaka.
Nicholas managed Matamata area for a time for J.G. Firth; later moving to "Bretton" orchard, adjacent to Hamilton East Cemetery. Finally he went to Piopio beyond Te Kuiti, where he farmed until his death. His wife wo.s a Miss Souter, a sister of the Cambridge Souter's.
Mrs Hunt Senior retired to Alpha Street, Cambridge where she died. Mrs Watts died within recent years at Hally's Rest Home at the age of 105.
Mr and Mrs Chepmell lived at Kiwitahi, farming, and over the years Mr Chepmell, who had a grounding in medicine, helped the district with his knowledge.
In 1880 Mrs Hunt sold the Narrows to George Way who had worked as a cadet with Mr Thomas Hunt at "Thorncombe" Te Awamutu, and from there went home to England, arranged his finances, and came back, taking over the farm; he continued the cropping and grazing of Shorthorn Cattle and Lincoln Sheep, much the same as the Hunts.
Mr Way married Laura Barugh, daughter of J.J. Barugh of "Wartle", and a sister of Kate Pickering,who was the first married in the new Saint Stephens Church.
In 1920 Mr and Mrs Way retired to Hamilton East and the farm was sold to Messrs W. and R. Fletcher, the well known meat export firm. Mr Way died in Hamilton on January 1943.
Their manager Mr Alec Miller resided in the homestead until 1930 . The Narrows was farmed mainly for a continuity of stock for the Auckland freezing woks.
Mr Miller was one of the best known stockmen in the Waikato of his time and his name still lives today. In fact he set a standard that could well be emulated by all stockmen today. His name was a byword amongst the auctioneering firms and he will be long remembered as a man of outstanding ability and integrity. What he said went, and anyone dealing with him, when he was buying cattle, could depend upon a very fair deal.
Mr Miller was brought up in Rotorua. Served for some years with the Farmers Auctioneering Company (F.A.C.) as an auctioneer, after which he managed Fletchers, Waikato.
When Mr Miller retired Mr Bob Mansell became manager, but did not live at "The Narrows", but Mr Self, a member of the staff resided there before going to Te Awamutu, when the farm was sold to P. Bremer of Hawera in 1931.
Mr P. Bremer was a well known breeder of sheep, Ayrshires and Clydesdales, Taranaki, and carried on similarily at the Narrows.
The cows were outstanding Ayreshires, holding their own at all shows, as did the horses, and the Shorthorns.
The farm is run today by his son Trevor, and grandson Kevin.
On the East of Mangaone Stream which runs parallel with the Main Road at Tamahere is the "Wartle" Estate, bought by Patrick Leslie of William. Steele 1869, the acreage being l,000, later added to.
Leslie was of a well known Toowombafamily, was born at Warthill, Aberdeen, Scotland 25th September 1815, the son of a Scottish Laird, came from "Canning Downs", Warwick, on the Darling Downs, Queensland.
He and his brothers had driven Merinos from Sydney and were the first to introduce sheep to the downs.
He took a large interest in public affairs, being first president of the Waikato Agricultural Association in June 1872. Chairman, Cambridge Highway Board, 1869; and a member of Waikato County Council for two years, 1876, at its first meeting. A member·of Saint Peters Vestry and the Hautapu Church Committee which held services in Hautapu School.
The house he built in the courtyard styles with a full range of buildings and yards, with orchard and vineyard in the background.
There were surrounding plantations of pines and many trees imported from overseas, quite a number of which are standing today.
The staff consisted of four gardeners and several farm hands, who carried out all the stock work.
Leslie was a tall upstanding, handsome man with a big beard, and on selling out to Barugh returned to Sydney in April 1881, where he died September 1881. (The Waikato Times 17th February 1881, stated that Patrick Leslie has sold 800 acreas of his Estate at Tamahere, including the beautiful homestead "Wartle" to Mr Joseph Barugh recently arrived from England. Mr Leslie had been in the front of farming in Waikato and has been of real service to Sheep Breeding.)
Joseph Barugh, sailing from Yorkshire, in taking over Wartle, continued the cropping programme but included cattle (Shorthorns) with his sheep enterprises.
The farm now consisted of the area from the Mangaone Stream to the now opened Matangi to Hamilton Road, to the south to the Tamahere to Matangi Road.
Mr Barugh was followed two years later by his father J.J. Baugh and his two sisters Kate and Laura.
The father was associated with the manure business in England, being instrumental in the importing of five tons of Superphosphate to Tamahere Railway Station at a cost of £38-5-9, which was £7-13-2 per ton F.O.B.
The farm was credited with sending 120 sacks of wheat to the roller mills in 1889.
At Me Nicols sale at Ohaupo in 1889, six rams, Lincolns, were sold for £3-15-0, lambs 5/10, long wooled 7/-.
Mr Joseph Barugh was instrumental, with Mr Hawkins of Rukuhia in the .................................
They were also responsible for Auckland Farmers Freezing Works, Horotiu and Westfield.
The Eastern end of "Wartle" was sold to Richard Barugh, a brother, who later sold to W.R. Whewell.
Joe Barugh sold to W.A. Oliver in 1910 and bought land at Rototuna ultimately retwrrring to Hamilton, where he died in April 1932.
The area that Oliver bought had been reduced by sale to Richard Barugh, but still covered the land across the gully beyond the house.
Mr Oliver on remarrying again, took a trip to England, during which they admired the Georgian houses and the old Leslie house was removed, being replaced by a two storied building of a style which eminently suited its surrounds. Years later it was taken down.
After Mr Oliver died in 1914 the family carried on milking till about 1932. When the farm was sold to Shaw, and the Oliver boys Ian and Brian bought land of their own.
Ensign James Crawford, late of 1evedon, acquired an extensive area of land on both sides of the Tamahere to Matangi Road, from the Maoris, at the same time as Captain Steele bought the Tamahere area; hence the name Crawford's Gully.
The Northern area was sold to Tinne's of "Briarly", who built on the smallknoll nearest to Matangi and who recorded some of the happenings of the district in a small booklet.
Tinne was followed by the Trubshaws, who farmed the 200 acreas until the home portion was sold to W.M. Bourke.
William Trubshaw retaining the Northern portion opening on to the Matangi Hamilton Road. This was farmed by his widow and son Greville, for many years, but is now sold.
The Woodcock Road area part of "Wartle" was sold to A.T.F. Wheeler, the Eastern side went to Whewells - Tinkler followed Wheeler with several in between down to Teague and Woodcock.
A.T.F. Wheeler was layreader and warden of Saint Stephens Church for many years and was commissioner for the school for a period when insufficient numbers could be raised to act as a committee.
At the Tamahere end, Crawford retained 200 acreas which was divided between his two daughters Kate and Minnie (Mrs Lowndes), the latter retaining until 1965 when she died, Maud having sold some years before.
Henry Windsor, leased Kate Crawfords land on the Western side of Woodcock Road for many years before it was sold, having come to Tamahere from Rukuhia, where ............................
Mr Windsor's son Harold, a well known stock dealer, followed, by son-in-law Ken Campbell, farmed until Mrs Lowndes built and Harold took over the lease, later moving to Bruntwood.
Walter Windsor a son of Henry, was a bricklayer, who lived in the corner house of Narrows Road and Main Road intersections, having bought of Mrs Care Estate when she died.
Frank Windsor, another son was a blacksmith and practised his trade for many years at Tamahere.
JEFFRIES, .......... FARM
BANKS W.E.L. Farm
F..............., WHEELERS Farm
Mr W.R. Whewell bought "Bracken" from Richard Baugh, was the son of Reverend J.O.S. Whewell, born in Tonga .
Prior to buying Mr Whewell had worked for his brother-in-law, James Taylor, of' "Bardowie" Cambridge, gaining experience in farming. During this time Mr Whewell recalled driving cattle along Victoria Road to Taylors land at Kiwitahi in the 80's, when the road was a quagmire, and a careful watch had to be kept that stock did not stray off the road. The drains were deep with little chance of getting cattle out.
Mr Whewell and his two sons Angwin and Harold also bought 200 acre's directly across the Tamahere to Matangi Road, including some acre's of bush. This land was very wet and in bringing it in, much of the country had to be drained and tiled, which over the years has become very fertile land.
The Whewell brothers, specialised in Fresian cattle as well as fat lamb raising. Their cattle were well known at the Hamilton and Auckland shows, a mantlepiece of cups and trophies testifying to the standard of stock, and ability of the Whewells.
Mr Harold married Hary Pickering, daughter of Martin and Kate (Barugh).
The brothers died with in a short time of one another 1961 and 1967, and the farm was taken over by Neil Bachelor, after whom the area was subdivided into 10 acre sections.
On the right hand side of the Matangi Rd, Crawfords Gully, were the Cowley family; Crawfords wife was a Cowley. Walter and Robert Cowley had several brushes with the local road Board in allowing pigs and cattle to stray.
Their land passed on to Arther Storey, to Boyd, and some to Otto and Peterkin.
Joseph Bern, who hailed from Auckland took up the land from Crawford at the intersection of Bruntwood Road (two chain) and Matangi Road, some 300 acre's. The land was milked on for many years, followed by fat lamb raising, by the Bern's son, Walter.
Mr Berns first wife was a McHillan, sister of the well known Blacksmith in Cambridge.
Beyond Bern's farm towards Cambridge was the farm acquired by his brother-in-law.
McMillan; this land included the site of the old Maori village adjacent to the M.............................................
who had come over the hills from Waharoa, signed the peace treaty, 27th May 1865.
This farm had been acquired from the Maori's , Te Rehi, but they did not stay in the vicinity, the Penititoesall moving to Hinuera Valley.
McMillans, under Alan McMillan milked for many years, supplying Tamahere factory. Later Alan took on a trotting stud, which produced many first class trotters.
On Alan's death, one of his daughters Mrs Holmes carried on.
One block between McMillans and Bruntwood was that of Mr Seymour, part of Bruntwood Estate. In 1903 land \vas £8 per acre.
Ben Ewen, eldest son of Chas Ewen, used the farm as a base of his contracting operations, bringing the farm land in the district into production.
One area Ben and his brother Vincent were instrumental in grassing, the hills of the Gorton Estate beyond the Matamata turn off on the Rotorua Road, now farmed by Watkins Brothers.
Ewen sold to Beere, who farmed for years, being followed by Harold Windsor, who leased.
A.R. Bachelor a director of Bruntwood Dairy Company bought the farm which is still in his estate.
The Eastern side of McMillans farm on both side of the two chain road, was the Bruntwood Estate, which in the 1890's consisted of 1,000 acres.
This was bought by the two brothers, John Andrew and William Muir Douglas; who had arrived in New Zealand in 1870. They were born in Scotland. Bruntwood Hall, Cheadle, Cheshire, England, was their mothers home.
The brothers bred Shropshire and Lincoln Sheep and had a herd of Herefords. They were also keen thoroughbred breeders and also bred Clydesdales.
The railway to Cambridge intersected part of the farm during construction to Cambridge, and the local Station was named Bruntwood, in 1882 was referred to as Fencourt.
In 1881 the partnership was dissolved and John Andrew returned to Scotland where they had lived.
The Douglas' had planted the Estate with oaks, silver birch and pines, mainly from England and Scotland.
The whole country was very open and it was necessary to provide shelter and beauty to break the winds.
Bruntwood was often the venue of the Waikato Hunt, earlier it had hosted the Auckland pack under Bullock-Webster. A photograph of one meet is hanging on the walls of the Cambridge Museum.
In 1893 the hounds were domociled at Bruntwood and Muir Douglas was master for ten years, being presented by a silver salver when he left in 1903.
In March 1903, 1,000 acres were sold to Mr Frank Ross and 500 earlier to Mr Nigil MArkham, Douglas having bought more land during his sojourn in the district.
He had 150 across the gully on Pickering Road and laid out an avenue of oaks to the culvert from Bruntwood Road and the same, plus pines on the Southern side of Pickering Road. A boundary fence now runs down the remains of the latter, between the Mitchell and Newcombe farms.
The homestead was burnt down and the site is only marked by the pine trees and stables adjacent to the old house site.
The new homestead was built in concrete by Ross on the other side of the two chain road and was bought by Chas Mayston, and his sons Henry and Martyn.
Mrs. Mayston was a daughter of Mr Martyn of Pencarrow, a granddaughter of John Martyn of Torview, Cambridge Road.
The Maystod's milked and supplied the Bruntwood factory. In 1910 the farm was sold; Mr and Mrs Mayston had died some years before and Henry and his son bought at Omokoroa and Martyn retired to Cambridge where he died.
The Cambridge Hunt Club bought across the road from Mayston's boundary on the Mangaone Stream, to set up the hounds, a house was built, but the hounds, following a rumpus, remained at Wynn Browns at Fencourt.
The land was later sold to Herbert Duncan.
Ambrose Main and his wife and family of nine, arrived in Auckland in March 1880, and after searching around the Waikato bought 500 acres off John Shaw.
The Times reports that Captain Steele had sold Mr Shaws farm at Tamahere to Mr Main from Huntingdon at £9 per acre.
The farm extended from the Church cross roads along the main road to Pickering Road, thence to the gully, being bouned on the North side by the Mangaone Stream.
Mr Main was born at Monks Hardwick, Huntingdon and farmed for 10 years at Soham, Eley, and 10 years at Dawsmere, Holbeach in Lincoln, before emigrating, as conditions in England were far from good.
The family arrived in May, to a big old fashioned house, with an outside kitchen, built probably due to the fear of fire. No wonder meal dishes had to be well covered.
A five acre area was set aside as an orchard with all the usual fruit trees, including walnuts, now the only remaining remnants.
The farm carried Lincoln Sheep and Shorthorn Cattle and Shire Horses were bred, and cropping operations were the usual. The Times records that a correspondent had ridden through Hamilton via Kaipaki and Ohaupo to Cambridge and had seen some excellent crops of oats. Someone had later written to the paper and said "well, if he had ridden along the main road he would have seen a first class crop of oats growing on Ambrose Main's farm."
The buildings - stable and sheds were all built in bricks made on the farm; Mr Main and young John Batkin had established a kiln at the back of the farm by the Mangaone Stream, the clay being mostsuitable. Some of the buildings are still in use.
Mr Main took an interest in local affairs, being a member of the local road board, the meetings of which had been held at Shaw's, continued at Main's. He was an early member of the Tamahere School Committee and of the Vestry of Saint Stephens; his name is mentioned in the various local undertakings also.
The sons Arthur, Alfred and William when not working on the farm, took on shearing contracts. Arthur later became manager of Fencourt, dying there; followed by William who had been manager of Locherbie, Morrinsville in 1893. Earlier in 1890, when Mr Grant retired, William became manager of Waitoa Estate. William later farmed Oakland, Tirau, on Okoroire Road. Alfred had bought across the main road. Later John and Robert went farming at Tuhikaramea.
The North end of the farm from Day's Gully to the Church corner was sold off in 1900, to Pearce, who was followed by W.S. Gooseman, later Sir Stanley, M.P. for Waikato, Lawrence and Shaw.
With the man power leaving, the rest of the farm 320 acres was sold to Preston and Ambrose bought 50 acres, a militia grant to Reid on the main road adjacent to son Alfred, where he and his wife resided with their two daughters Mary and Kate until he died in 1920 aged 92.
Barker, Aitcheson, Bell & Jones followed; as occupiers.
W.R. Preston hailed from Papatoetoe, where the family had farmed on what is known as Otara today, a road was named after them.
A new house was built some hundred yards to the East of the old house, a cowshed constructed and a herd of cows were milked, until he died in 1913, when the farm was sold to E.H. Hammond.
E. H. Hammond had farmed at Onewhero before coming to Tamahere; where he continued the milking with William Pollard as sharemilker.
Mr Hammond was a director of Cambridge Dairy Company and a member of the first board of the Cambridge Power Board. He was also a lay reader at Saint Stephens Church.
In late 1914 he sold the Western portion of the 320 acres to Thomas Turnbull of Southland, retaining 120 acres adjacent to Pickering Road and corner.
On this Mr Hammond built a pleasing storey and a half house on the corner, later added to by the Hardys. A new cowshed and cottage were built and George Hill installed as a milker.
Mr Hammond also bought 150 acres beyond Pickering's farm, from Messrs Duncan Brothers and when he sold to John Kelso in 1920, continued milking there until he retired in 1932 selling to E. Goodacre and Robert Mitchell.
John Kelso, and his two daughters had been in the Te Aroha district, with a herd of pure pred Jerseys, but had to give up owing to tight finance and farm was sold to Hardy Brothers, whose family had farmed earlier in the Parua. Bay area at Whangarei. The family had originally come from Lincolnshire.
Alan Hardy ran the herd for some years, marrying Joan Veale of Cambridge, latterly Tamahere, and setting up on his own farm at Gordonton, when his brother. Frank married Majorie Allen of Morrinsville and took over the farm. He milked for a period and then ran sheep, with a bit of cropping included.
When Frank died the farm was sold to A.C. Smith, a jersey breeder, and Mrs Hardy retired to Hamilton.
Further down Pickering Road to the left over the gully is "Fermando", acquired in 1881 by Martin Pickering. The farm had originally been a soldiers grant, bought by Runcimans of "Marshmeadows", who named the farm "Fernend" as the whole countryside was covered by high fern. The next occupier was Snowden, from whom Pickering bought. Mr Pickering, from Yorkshire arrived in New Zealand in 1880 and farmed until his death in 1910.
Milking was continued by his son Tim, assisted by his sisters until they married.
Mr Pickering was master of the Hunt, when Tom Brown brought the Pakuranga pack on a visit, later he became Master when the local Hunt Club was formed. The kennels at that time were domociled with Muir Douglas at Bruntwood. Pickerings corner was a well known meeting point for the Hunt to Tamahere or Pickerings farm or possibly Dingles. The first meet of the Pakuranga hounds was at Broadmeadows 6th August 1878.
Mr Pickering married Kate Barugh, daughter of J.J. Barugh of Wartle in Saint Sphens Church, being the first wedding in the new building. Tim Pickering married Ethelwynne Souter of Cambridge, dying in 1957, and his son Tom now runs the farm milking some 200 cows.
Myrtle the eldest daughter married J.Jefferd of Hastings. Ida who taught school at Tauwhare married Percy Dingle. Mary married Harold Whewell of Tamahere, Eleanor (Nellie) did not marry.
Over the gully on Pickering Road to the right was the farm of George Thorpe, which after his death was run by his son Fred, a First World War man, now run by his son Ken.
The farm extended over the gully with a small entrance to the main road. Slightly back off the main road, the original house stood, with Smiths in residence, followed by Russell's, who had a small post office there- later that was removed to the other Russell's opposite Torview.
The Late Captain Steele
Graham's Home, later T O Hodgson's.
MR W.A. GRAHAM
Donor of the School Grounds
Co-Founder of Farmers
Co-operative Auctioneering Co
and Auckland Farmers
William Newell . .
Chairman Cambridge Road Board
Chairman Waikato County 1926-29
MR. C. Day
MR. C. Ewen
MR. A. W. GANE's HomESTEAD.
later AN Dingle, then Arthur Savill's
THE LATE MR. J.J. BARUGH
TAMAHERE DAIRY FACTORY
now site of the Tamahere Service Station.
Pencarrow and Broadmeadows
Elizabeth Martyn (nee Main)
CALF CLUB DAY- 1950
ST STEPHENS - 14th MAY, 1883
FOR SALE-2000 Acres Choice Land, forming a portion of the Tamahere Reserve, and surrounded by the cultivated farms of Messrs. Douglas, Leslie and others, and equal distance from Hamilton and Cambridge. Price, 50s. per acre.
Apply to W. AITKEN,
NZ 'HERALD' Auckland, March 1, 1878.
TAMAHERE STORE 1920
Percy Ewen beside the pole
CROPPING OATS AT FRANK HARDY'S. 1940
Homestead owned by Mr Papasplropoulous
Mr and Mrs Ambrose Main
Mr and Mrs Alfred Main
"Te Whanake" Tamahere
Farm Scene Harrowing
Minnie Main Side Saddle
Cattle for Marke
Lambs for Horotiu
R Main, Cr R N Baker, A Main
Beyond Thorpes extending from Pickering Road to the Main road - both sides of the gully to the corner of Hautapu Road, some 200 acres was the farm of Sam Cowling, later farmed by his son William - followed by W. Chynoweth, W.S. McE\ven.
One man who worked for Messrs Graham was Tom Pennell, who had come to Waikato from Howick. He lived in a cottage at the front gate, at the Narrows Road end of the farm - now Newells Road. A walnut grew on the corner where the house stood for many years has now disappeared.
Tom Pennell was in charge of Grahams horses, later moving to a cottage on the main road, the Education Board triangle, at the corner of Pickering Road earlier the site of the first Hautapu School.
Tom became surfaceman for the Cambridge Road Board, latterly Waikato County riding. The job consisted of a horse and dray, which carted gravel from various sand pits to keep all the pot holes on the roads filled, in the riding.
It was all sand for reading in the early days, and Tom told one story when a contractor was carting sand to the main road for him to spread. During the spreading a cyclist passed on his way to Cambridge, giving Tom some cheek, which upset him, on the way back the cyclist came sailing past, and Pennell out with his shovel, and jammed it in his bike wheel, saying "Ah, now, that will teach you right for giving me cheek".
Many a time we school children stopped and enjoyed a chat with Tom and hear a yarn he had to tell.
At one time he was loading his dray with gravel from a pit in Crawfords gully, when a coffin hurtled down - the pit had encroached on the Maori burial ground above. Needless to say it was quickly reburied.
Tom died in June 1932 aged 83 and was buried at Tamahere.
His wife Sarah Jane, was an Irish woman, of the good old type, who was a wonderful midwife; who attended most of the confinements of the next generation. She had the reputation of never losing a child, being a most proficient, kindly person. Asepsis did not worry her, despite the fact that modern technique would frown on practically everything she did, but she had learnt her job well, and knew how to handle any situation. Nine times out of ten, she would have everything in hand before the doctor arrived, and baby delivered; my brother Wallace and I both had her tender care.
Cambridge had Doctor Waddington in the 1890's- 1900's and it meant that when a women's time had come, the husband or neighbour would have to ride off "post haste" to locate the Doctor. He could be anywhere, usually on horse back, and later making use of a horse and buggy on his rounds.
In 1886 Ambrose Main in partnership with his two sons Arthur and Alfred bought 500 acres directly across the main road of Messrs Pearson Brothers of the firm of Pearson Knowles and Rylands, well known wire manufacturers.
Pearsons had bought the Southern portion of Pencarrow when William Martyn left the district in 1881 and Split their farm into two 500 acre blocks then..........................
Ambrose and Arthur remained in the Main partnership for a short time, until Alfred, my father, took over and Arthur became manager of the Fencourt Estate where he died as a young man.
The farm was know as TEWHANAKE after A Maori village, noted on early maps on the western end of the farm on the riverbank.
Alfred gradually brought the whole of his farm into grass, breeding Shire horses, which were sold at the Cambridge sale in the Spring, usually to Auckland buyers. J.J. Graig and others, at exceptional prices.
Lincoln Sheep were bred and for some years rams were shipped to the Sydney sale, a tedious operation in the 1880's.
Shorthorn cattle were bred and fattened as were store cattle, the outlet for which was Westfield market after the rail was completed to Cambridge in 1884.
The farm, particularly the hill portion was very wet and those portions were under drained - filled with ti tree and closed up, still running years after - later tiles were used.
The farming pattern was wheat and oat growing followed by swedes for winter fodder.
In 1902 Alfred Main married Minnie Steele daughter of Sam Steele of Rukuhia at Saint Stephens Church.
Steele's story is mentioned in N. Raynes book "South of West Hamilton".
The homest:ead was built by Alfred Pearson, for the Mains, who leased for three years. The house has over the years had various additions, the original remaining essentially the same.
Alfred died in 1926 as a result of an accident and his widow Minnie and two sons Alfred and Wallace continued farming until the farm was split between the two sons. Wallace taking the river portion - with Pencarrow Road bisecting and Alfred the Northern area bounding on the main road, being still farmed by Alfred and his son Richard.
The house and sheds lay in the centre of the whole block, down a mile drive of oaks and pines, which was the original main road entrance to William Martyn whose home was quarter of a mile back towards the river.
The Crowned Hill 500 acres of the then known "Golborne'' Estate of Messrs Pearson, Herbert and Alfred, was sold to H. Elgood and Pearsons returned to England. H. Elgood 1906 - 1907 sold to Alfred Gane a son-in-law of George E. Clark of Hooker Road and later a well known merchant in Cambridge. Alfred Gane's people lived on the knoll directly across the river to Kaipaki.
In 1908 Gane sold to John V. Dingle and his son Newton, who were from Taranaki. Being descended from the Veale family, who were early settlers at New Plymouth.
They farmed earlier with cattle and sheep but by 1918 a herd was put on in a shed built beside Bald Hill, run by Joe Bellve and his son.
Newton married Myra, daughter of W.R. Preston who had bought of Ambrose Main.
Dingle sold Golborne in 1925 - retired to Hamilton and Gisborne, after which he farmed in the hills beyond Te Kauwhata with his son Lawrence.
Arthur Savill from Pio Pio bought in 1926 and had two herds operating until he died, when the farm was split up into sections.
He was a first class farmer and increased the production very considerably, with excellent hay crops to supplement in the Winter.
One son, David has continued farming in the homestead block. The house built by W. Martyn, after the earlier home, then close to the base of Bald Hill, was burnt down in late 1869, is still in first class order.
Mc CARVIE. E. S. E. Corner of DINELES
Thomas Paton bought 150 acres -militia grant - between Ambrose Main's 50 and Northwest corner of Pencarrow Road, where it joins the main road. He also had 50 acres opposite and 100 acres across Pencarrow Road, also bounding on the corner with the Main Road.
Paton with his sons, had come from Montreal where he had beena bank manager. He was assisted by his son Henry and a neighbour - Cowling. Henry married Margaret Main, and on his fathers death the farm was sold, and Henry and Margaret bought in Scotsmans Valley, later buying land at Waharoa, which was farmed by their son Thomas.
Thomas Paton lost his son Charles after an accident, hunting at James Taylor's "Bardowie" adjacent to Hautapu Station there were two mishaps that day, 21st August 1889. Paton broke his back, dying some days later and James Taylors brother was killed out right - a day of calamity.
Many years later Mrs Wynn Brown, wife of the Hunt master was killed on the hunting field, on Harold Windsor's farm at Tamahere- the hunt never went there again.
May followed, Smythe Gusse & Bonham, Nicol, Woodcock, Chynoweth, George Dodd had the 100 acres across Pencarrow Road - later H. Duncan. The 50 acres across Main Road, Goodwin, Matheson, Pollard and Fitzgerald.
On the Eastern flank of Patons farm, was that of William B. Morgan, the original grantee, one of the few who remained and farmed. Morgan had 500 acres, gradually accumulated over the years, which extended from the main road to the river, including Bald Hill, a high knoll overlooking the water. The Eastern end of Pencarrow Road bounded the full length of the farm.
The farming followed the usual pattern of cropping, raising of sheep and cattle and fattening stock.
Being very heavy country, drains had to be put in to get the water off and like most farms hawthorn hedges were planted alongside to act as fences.
When W.B. Morgan died his son John David Proper continued the farming operations.
John had viewed the situation at the beginning of the First World War and bought a considerable number of horses, suitable for the battle field.
He wrote to Lord Kitchener, saying he had several hundred horses available, but everything was becoming mechanical and horses gradually bowed out, except perhaps in the deserts of Sinai and ...............
No sale took place, so horses were gradually realised locally, after having spoilt all the fences.
John married a high cast Maori from Maungatautiri and had six children Arane, Beatrice, Clifford, David and twins, Edith Frances and Frances Edith. The elder children attended Tarnahere School for a time but all ultimately went to the nearer Hautapu School.
David, from Sydney was in New Zealand te attend the Hautapu lOOth Celebrations.
DUNCAN AND MONTGOMERIE:
When J.D. Proper died the farm was split up, the centre portion with homestead bought by William Duncan who resided at Tor View - later it passed into the hands of James Montgomerie of Mangere.
The Bald Hill portion with its new road in front instead of that surveyed across the back, was bought by Morley Boyce, who cleared the hill of its coat of gorse and brought into full production with a dairy herd.
Beyond Morgan and Bald Hill on the riverside was the farm of G.E. Clark, who had come to New Zealand from Cambridge. He and His sons Harry, Willie and later Dick and George farmed till 1903, when the sons took on farming pursuits of their own.
At that date the farm some 300 acres was sold, Mr Clark having set up the well known firm of George E. Clark and Sons. First grain and produce merchants - now affiliated with Allied Farmers.
James Hooker who followed Clark was a native of Taranaki. He set up a dairy herd which was continued by his two sons and latterly by grandson Aubrey.
H.E. Porritt from Te Kowhai and earlier Wanganui, bought the homestead section from James Hooker, continued milking - followed by son Graham, who was followed by son Neil.
The last 50 acres along Hooker Road, after militia, was taken by Mrs Gerrans, who was a sister-in-law to John Martyn Senior of Tor View. Her daughter Mary married W.B. Ring of Hinuera. The intersecting corner with the main road for many years was known as Gerrans Corner.
Pat Karl of Ohaupo bought from Mrs Gerrans and farmed there. Still continued by his grandson.
The Karls were part of the Bohemian settlers to Puhoi in the '80. A brother of Pat's settled on the outskirts of Putaruru and another on the Rotorua Side of Mamaku.
On the Cambridge side of Morgan beyond Duncan Road, we have the name of Hamilton. one of the original militia, followed by Arthur Souter of the Cambridge family. A blind man, who with his sons farmed at Te Kauwhata.
C.H. Rout followed by John Massey, a brother of William Massey, Prime Minister after Joseph Ward in 1920. Scott followed by Ray Corby.
Next to Corby was the farm of Russell some 150 acres extending to the now Banks corner. Farm was under cultivation of various types over the years, followed by two herds of cows. Jack Russell on the main road and his brother on Hooker Road.
Another brother Humphrey farmed 50 acres on Discombe Road, South East of Torview.
For a period the Pukeroro Post Office was conducted by Miss Russell, from their home directly opposite Tor View gate.
TOR VIEW - MARTYN:
Tor View the 100 acre knoll, to the South of the Hautapu Road at its intersection with the Main Road (Known for many years as Number .1. Station Road), was taken up by John Martyn Senior of Ramarama, who followed his two sons to Waikato, when they bought Pencarrow.
Mr Martyn built on the knoll and laid out the grounds in a circle, with a drive to the road, bounded combination of oaks and totaras, which in the Autumn when the oaks change colour, is a sight to be seen.
Mr Martyn was followed by Messrs Ward, Ross and W. Duncan, after he died in 1893 at 89 years.
Directly to the North of the intersection of Main Road, Hooker Road and Racecourse Road (known for mapy years as Number .2. Station Road), is the farm of Thomas Morgan, the original settler following the grantee days.
He was followed by his niece Mrs Martin Butler, and her son, Ken who during his occupancy, celebrated 100 years in the same family in 1976.
Ken retired to Cambridge, where he died leaving two daughters and the farm was taken over by his nephew, J.J. Butler, son of brother Joseph, who had farmed at Karapiro, on land earlier owned by his Uncle William.
FORREST - FISHER:
Beyond Butler on the main Road was Forrest's farm, extending to Forrest's corner - Forrest Road, with the home on the corner. The land was subsequently owned by James Fisher of the Pukerimu clan followed by W. Sinton.
On the South East side of Forrest Road extending from the main road to Racecourse Road, was land taken up by William Reynolds of Cornwell, father of Richard of Trecarne and Henry of Marshmeadows and London (Anchor Brand Farm). The homestead was in the trees alongside McWhannells nursery, opposite Saint Peters. Mr Reynolds later removed to Wai Valley on the Pukerimu side of the river, where he died.
Saint Peters farm was owned by Fantham, followed by J. Banks and family Mrs Banks was a Buckland of Highwic Auckland, daughter of Alfred Buckland.
The homestead area known as Gwynnlands,was also a favourite meeting place for the Cambridge Hunt and at one time was used as a racecourse, where Rodmor Stud now is.
Gwynnlands was sold to James Taylor of "Bardowie" who with a sharemilker had a large herd of cows, Taylor built the large house opposite McWhannells for his son Innes. Saint Peters bought from Taylor.
The Western end of Gwynnlands back to Karls was farmed by Norman Banks, who also milked, his home being adjacent to what became known as Banks corner.
Norman was a keen polo player and a member of the racing club, and gradually sold off parcels of land retaining 100 acres at the corner, which on his death passed on to his son Norman. The elder son Douglas went to Canada and has become a leading thorough bred breeder in the Toronto area.
Along Discombe Road going North from Station Road was the "Poplars" belonging to Selby, who later sold to Charlton.
During Selby's occupation on 28th May 1880, his son Richard, 18 years old, was accidently shot and at the inquest in Cambridge the blame was attributed to no one concerned.
Across the road Mr Sam Cowling Senior farmed with the aid of his family, his son William being on a portion of the farm facing the main road.
Discombe bought from Cowling in 1913, and later 100 acres across the road for his son Albert when Broadmeadows was split up in 1914.
Laurie Discombe farmed the homestead block and after his death was sold to P. Hogan - now the well known Cambridge Stud.
North side of Discombe, bounding on Pickering R.O.