OVER the years many changes have taken place in Matangi village itself . The original stores have been demolished, and one new block built.  The only two buildings that remain are the garage and what is now the Scout Den.
The district's first and only general store for many years, was situated between the Railway land and the Dairy Company and was now where the Company Manager's residence stands. This store sold almost everything - hardware, groceries, drapery,  bulk wheat, mash, grass seed and last but not least petrol. There have been various owners, including the names Waugh, Worthington, Ellis, Ward, Milligan, Matthews, Hughson, Taylor, Swann, Inwood, Jones, Martin and Graham. When the Dairy Company bought this section, the shop was removed and the dwelling which had adjoined the store at the rear, was renovated and enlarged making it a more up-to-date residence for ocpuation by the Factory Manager of the time.
On the opposite side of the road, a Billiard Saloon was run by a Mr Durrant, later by Mr Frank Goodwin. In the front of this building, a small shop selling sweets and cigarettes, was managed by Ken Gribble. Alongside there was another small shop, the Butchery and Saddlery, a vacant section, then the Smithy. A Mr Johnson, then Sam Capper, Dan Irvine followed by Mr H. Reid served the district as Blacksmiths, Emil Anderson and Fred Keeley as Saddlers, Arthur Pretty and Jim Johnson supplied meat for many years, while Mr Pretty's daughter, Elva, managed the little Fancygoods Shop.
In the late 1930's, Mr P. Shine of Eureka built a small grocery on the adjacent corner, first managed by his daughter, then Eric Brown was appointed to this position. This business was later bought by Mr Graham Levy. The Levy family lived in the front part of the old Billiard Saloon, which had been partioned off into several rooms, and as well utilized the small shop adjoining, for living quarters. These buildings have all been demolished and a new block comprising a Four Square store and Butchery was built by Mr W. O. Miller, the new butcher. Graham Wallace managed the Four Square store. The latter had bought the stock from Harry Graham's shop, carrying on in business there for a short time and then transferring his goods to the Baker's shop, until the new block was ready for occupation. When Mr Derbyshire took over, a house was transported to the comer site for his habitation. A garage business was started by Rob Butcher in the 1930's in a corrugated tin shed on the site of the old Blacksmith's shop. There was one Europa petrol pump. A wooden house (subsequently burnt down) belonging to Mr Pretty was erected alongside and Rob Butcher lived here while at Matangi. When he left, Mr W. R. Cooper who had been working for him, started a trucking business, dealing with general farm business, fertilizer and stock as well as collecting milk from depots in the outlying districts and delivering it to the factory twice daily. When milk tankers came into use, he diversified to other carrying such as hay and general carrying. He and his family went into the house vacated by Mr Butcher. In later years he bought  this residence. His business was sold to Russell Brothers and then to McKee & Hamilton. It is no longer in existence.
Harry Hall bought out Mr Butcher, doing minor mechanical repairs before and during the 1939-45 war. Noel West, in 1946 became the next owner, gradually building up a clientele for mechanical repairs, panel­ beating, welding, etc., and installing a second petrol pump. About 1953, Trevor Brocket started working for Noel West, continuing with Peter Cunningham and after that with Mr Gurney. Then in 1962, Trevor took over the Garage which he managed until recently. Now his two sons, Wayne and Trevor junior, have gone into partnership, continuing to run the business under the trade name of Matangi Motors. During these latter years the building has been remodelled and given a new look. A panel shop has also recently been built adjacent to the garage.
Jack Scott and Sam Nowland also set up a carrying business under the title of Matangi Transport, adapting for their truck depot, the Billiard Saloon built by Frank Windsor for Archie Perno on the land next to the Garage. They also collected milk from depots and did general carrying for farm needs. When  this partnership dissolved, Sam Nowland bought his first tractor and haybaler and commenced an Agricultural Contracting business. He later owned the first Combine Harvester around these parts and gave many years of service to the farmers in  this area. With their licences going to other carriers, the depot was available for sale, and was bought by the Scout Group about 1971, together with the land. This gave them their own home, as previously their meetings were held in the Presbyterian Church Hall. Money, time and effort have made a fine den now.
A Bakery built in the late 1920's by Mr Johnston and assisted by his son,  Phillip, lay beyond the Scout Hall. This was originally a Boarding House for the Glaxo Factory staff and run by Miss Cranston. The rear of this was altered and made into a bakehouse and a shop built out separately in front. The front part of the boarding house was also altered to make living quarters for the owner. It is recalled that bread at that time sold at 6d a loaf, meat pies 2d each and two cakes cost only 1d. This business passed into the hands of Mr Cargill then to Mr Wald, who pioneered his 100% wholemeal loaf and which recipe is now baked by Findlays. In about 1954, after the Bakery closed, the shop was used as a consulting room for a once weekly visit (afternoon) by Dr. Young from Hillcrest. This venture was closed down due to the expense of upgrading the rooms to Health Department regulations. Also with the increase of cars on the road and a bus service at the time, it became easier to get to the doctors rooms at Hillcrest.
Before the Post Office was built in 1914, mail was handled by Mrs Lewis, wife of the then Factory Manager, in a small building situated between the school and the house next to it, now a right-of-way to the property at the rear and one time Bowling Green.
On the right hand side of the Factory drive and fronting the road, gardens and tennis courts were laid out in the early days. Croquet was played on the lawns later, and later still, this position was used to build a new Factory Manager's residence, Mr George Russell being the first occupier. Two or three Public Works Huts stood on the Good Street comer. These were made into cottages for factory workers. They were eventually demolished, to make way for more proper houses.